I made this super healthy stir-fry with the young people at the YMCA cookery class and it was a real hit with them. Its now a family favourite for us too.
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp oyster sauce
450g lean beef cut into thin strips
freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ tbsp. cornflour
1 tbsp sesame oil
250g broccoli (cut into florets)
1 large sweet potao, peeled and cut into 8mm thick slices/ strips
thumb sized piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
¼ teasp crushed chilli flakes
- Combine the water, brown sugar and oyster sauce in a small bowl, until the sugar has dissolved and set aside.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and toss in cornflour until fully coated.
- Heat half of the sesame oil in a large wok and add the beef, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until beef is cooked through. Set the beef aside in a clean bowl.
- Add the remaining sesame oil to the wok, turn up to a high heat and stir-fry the broccoli, sweet potato and root ginger. Add the crushed chillies and pour over the reserved sauce. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
- Return the beef to the pan and heat through for 1-2 minutes.
- Delicious served with egg noodles!