Arlene’s Coffee Cake
For the coffee cake
- 225g/8oz margarine (I use Stork) plus extra for greasing the tins
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs (room temperature)
- 3 tbsp coffee essence (I use Camp)
- 225g/8oz self raising flour
For the coffee buttercream
- 75g/3oz margarine (Stork)
- 175g/6oz icing sugar
- 2 tbs coffee essence (Camp)
- 1 tbsp milk
- For the coffee cake, preheat the oven to 180C, Fan 160 C, Gas 4. Grease and line 2×7 inch cake tins.
- Place the margarine and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a hand held beater for approx. 5 minutes until pale in colour and light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each egg. Sieve in ¼ of the flour and very gently fold in with a large spoon or spatula. Repeat until all the flour is incorporated. Fold in the coffee essence until evenly distributed.
- Pour into the prepared cake tins and level off with a palette knife.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown and risen. A skewer should come out clean.
- Remove from the tin and allow tocool on a cooling rack.
- For the coffee buttercream, place the margarine in a bowl and mix with a hand-held electric mixer. Add the sifted icing sugar, coffee essence and milk and beat together for about 2 minutes until it is fluffy and lightens in colour.
- Spread thalf he buttercream over one cake and place the other cake on top. Spread the remaining buttercream over the top and decorate with walnuts.